Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The return of "What I ate Wednesday!"

Good morning!

I am so excited to be participating in a WIAW post. It's been so long. To get the scoop on what WIAW is all about, head on over to Jenn's Blog, Peas and Crayons and enjoy everyone's glorious displays of what they ate in a day. 

(Thanks Jenn for organizing such a fun way for us all to celebrate the joy of food, cooking and eating!)

The theme this month is falling into good habits, which I'm sure is something we could all work on. I know I'm definitely not perfect! I'm always striving to make better food choices and improve my health in one way or another. 

Morning:

Beverages: Lots of water, a healthy morning tonic consisting of water, lemon juice, aloe vera juice and a splash of citrus Kombucha, and some espresso

Breakfast:

 
Homemade granola, nectarine, strawberries and a splash of sunflower milk.

Mid-Morning:

Random snacks: carrots, a small sunflower butter chocolate chip cookie and the rest of my Kombucha from my morning tonic

Lunch:


THIS salad! 
Oh. My. Goodness. 
So delicious!
I basically followed Jessica's recipe with a few minor adjustments like using crumbled goat cheese instead of feta, adding cilantro, adding more greens and not grilling the corn. 

I *might* have had a small square of dark chocolate for dessert. I like to think of dark chocolate as a good digestive aide due to its bitterness ;) Therefore, I tell myself that it is suitable (and beneficial!) to eat some after every meal. 

Afternoon:

I typically don't snack very often. I usually eat my meals when I'm hungry and don't eat in-between. But, for some reason I was SUPER hungry yesterday. I think it may be because Woody and I have been working out with a personal trainer lately and lifting heavy weights. My muscles must just be asking for more fuel. The body knows what the body needs, right? As Amanda pointed out in a wonderful post about "insatiable hunger" days: our bodies tell us what they need and send us messages. It's just a matter of listening.

Snack:


Goat brie and avocado mashed with sauerkraut and nutritional yeast spread on two corn thins.

Dinner:

Yesterday evening, I had the pleasure of attending a super special event hosted by two of my dearest friends, Feather who is an amazing esthetician and Tessa who is an herbalist and holistic nutrition consultant. Tessa makes incredible skin care products that you can find at Lychee Therapeutics

Tessa and Feather put together a Summer Skin Care Essentials workshop complete with a dinner made with produce from Tessa's garden. It was an AMAZING, beautiful, delicious, informative evening :-) 











Amazing dinner! Fish freshly caught by Tessa's husband, salad, sweet potatoes, quinoa and pesto made with nettle and cleavers. So deeply nourishing! Every ingredient was especially chosen to promote and encourage healthy, glowing, vibrant skin! 

Dessert:

 
Raw, vegan, gluten free coconut cream cupcakes that Tessa made, fresh blackberries and *MY* contribution to the evening:

Summer Berry Crisp


Vegan and Gluten-Free


Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees. Gather together whatever berries you would like to use. I used blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. I didn't measure them but, I used a ton! Rinse and drain and set aside. Lightly oil baking pan of choice. Now put together the crumb topping.

1 cup gluten-free flour mix (I used pure pantry)
1 cup gluten-free oats
1 cup sucanat (or sugar of choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup earth balance 

In a bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Then massage in the earth balance with your fingers. Place your berries in your oiled baking pan. Then put your crumble mixture on top.


Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until it starts getting all bubbly and sexy. 


I made a mini one for Woody :)


That's it for today!

 I hope you all have a beautiful, amazing day...feel the warmth of the sun's rays and the glowing radiance of your own heart! <3