Friday, September 14, 2012

My *NEW* favorite granola recipe

Hey, good morning! How's it going?

I'm having a pretty relaxed morning at home right now, just waiting for Woody to get home from surfing.

I have THIS delightful recipe simmering on the stove which I am super stoked about. I can't wait to try it! Chocolate and Bacon? Ok ;)

So, I went to a pretty amazing yoga class yesterday afternoon, at my favorite studio taught by my favorite teacher. I've been thinking a lot about something he said towards the end of class. It's simple, but I love it. I'm going to make it my new mantra for a while. 

Hang loose with the things that be.

Does that totally sound like something a hippie yoga teacher in west county would say?! I don't care. I think it's wonderful. It's a great reminder to just accept whatever is flowing in your life and hang loose with it, without straining or struggling to change things or work against the flow.

On a totally different note, I have a recipe to share with you. I always like to have some homemade granola in the house. I love it with a bunch of fruit on top, like my breakfast the other morning. 


Or sprinkled on top of a smoothie, which was my breakfast this morning.


This granola recipe is different than what I usually make because it's made with rice cakes and quinoa flakes!

Adapted from THIS recipe.

Gluten-Free Quinoa Rice Granola

5 brown rice cakes
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or oil of your choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Crumble rice cakes in a bowl. Stir in quinoa flakes, chopped, nuts and cinnamon. Then add your maple syrup and oil and stir until combined. Spread on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stir and then bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Make sure to check it often so it doesn't burn! Once it has cooled, mix in the raisins and dried cranberries and ENJOY! 

I hope you have a beautiful day and are hanging loose with the things that be! <3