Thursday, September 15, 2011

Yoga, garden harvest and a peachy butternut recipe!

Hey sweet and delicious friends! I can't believe I'm actually posting two days in a row! YAY! My intention to write more posts is becoming a reality. Cheers to that!

This morning Woody and I went to yoga together at my favorite studio, Thrive. It was a great class. I was marveling today at how much my body and practice vary from day to day. Sometimes I feel like I just fly through practice feeling light and buoyant in my body and heart. And other times, (like today) my body feels incredibly heavy and it's a struggle to get in and out of every posture. I felt weak and shaky today and at one point I even thought, yoga is the HARDEST thing EVER. It incorporates so many different aspects and levels of your entire being: strength, balance, concentration, focus, endurance, patience, intention, softness, a sense of playfullness...I could go and on. Well, that's how it is for me anyway...and there's nothing else like it. As I was struggling through practice today, my beloved teacher said something like, "With every struggle, there is an opening. With every difficulty, there is a lesson learned." 
Amen to that, sista :-)

This afternoon, Woody and I worked in the garden. I'm not gonna lie, we had been neglecting it big time and there was lots to be done. It was becoming a bit of a jungle in there. But, we did some weeding and cleaned it up and it's looking a little better now. We also harvested A LOT and now we are up to our ears in veggies. We are going to be BUSY figuring out what to make and how to preserve our bountiful harvest. We'll probably give a lot of it away too. Check out what we're working with at the moment.















Woody took all the photos, by the way :-)

So, yeah...what a beautiful blessing to have such an abundance!

After we were all done harvesting and working in the garden, Django trots up to us like,  hey...you guys forgot one! 

 HAHA!
 Thanks for helping Mister.
 He really didn't want to give it up!
He was like...This one's mine! I found it :-) 


Moving on.

Woody took some stunning photos in the garden today that I just have to share. It's stuff like this that makes me gasp in wonder at how breathtakingly beautiful life is.


 








 I LOVE these photos...and Woody's talent and creativity :-)

I have a recipe to share as well!

This recipe is the result of intuition, creative juices flowing, the need to use up some leftover ingredients...oh, and my current love affair with peaches. I'm SO pleased with the way it turned out! I almost cried! I'm not kidding.

Peachy Butternut Squash Soup
(With Rosemary and Ginger! Delightful!)


Ingredients:
(Makes about 5 cups)

1/2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
1/2 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 peach, chopped
2 cups water
1 veggie bouillon cube
Splash of olive oil
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp fresh rosemary


Begin by frying the onions in the olive oil in a medium sized pot over medium/high heat until tender. Then add the water, veggie cube, butternut squash, sweet potato, ginger and rosemary. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally. Once the sweet potatoes and butternut squash are tender enough to poke with a fork, remove from heat and allow to cool. Once it has cooled, add in the peach. Transfer entire contents of soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Then pour back into pot and bring it back to a simmer. Then serve...with a smile. Cuz it's delicious. :-)


It was slightly sweet, oh so savory, taste-bud tantalizing, a rosemary flavor journey with a ginger kick...just perfect.

Well loves, now I must go because something came in the mail recently that I am SO excited about.


I'm going to cuddle up with my man, watch a movie and eat popcorn.

Lots of love and light to you! Thank you for reading. :-)