Saturday, September 24, 2011

Very Berry Cashew Cream Pie

Hey guys! How's it going?


Django says "What's up?!" 

And just so Kona doesn't feel left out...here's a pic of her. And me :-) 


I think I could possibly have the happiest doggies in the universe. I learn from them everyday. They are so present. They are always so in the moment, never worrying about what has happened or what's going to happen. They just ARE. And they like to play and lay in the sunshine. :-) That definitely makes for a happy life! 

Speaking of a happy life....

I began my morning with Leanne's Pumpkin Spice Smoothie, listening to MaMuse, doing a little Shiva Rea Yoga Trance Dance and a BodyRock workout! 

All good things! (Although I didn't do them all at once. Can you imagine that?!) 

Another very good thing...

A recipe I have been meaning to share for a while now. My friends who were at my house the day I made this will be very happy to finally see the recipe, I'm sure. So, without further ado I present to you...

Very Berry Cashew Cream Pie



Ingredients:

For the crust:
2 cups roasted and salted almonds
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp maple syrup

For the cashew cream filling:
2 cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 2-4 hours)
1/4 cup maple syrup (You may also use honey or agave)
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp coconut oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon (I used a meyer lemon)
1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon

For the berry topping:
Mixed berries (I didn't measure. You can do as many or as little as you like. I used a mixture of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Use fresh, not frozen.) :-)
A splash of lemon juice
A drizzle of maple syrup
A dash of cinnamon





I apologize for the blurriness of the photos. Someone (cough*Woody*cough) was not being a very good photographer at the moment! 

To prepare the crust:
In a food processor or heavy duty blender, blend the roasted and salted almonds until they reach a crumbly texture. Be sure not to blend too much! You don't want to make almond butter here! Transfer to a bowl and add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir together until the mixture begins to want to stick together. You may need to add more coconut oil if it's too dry. Pour the mixture into a round pie pan or a small casserole dish and press firmly down creating the pie crust. 

To prepare the filling:
In a food process or blender combine the cashews, lemon juice, maple syrup, coconut oil, water, cinnamon and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture on top of your almond crust. 

To prepare the fruit topping:
Wash the berries. If using strawberries, chop them into bite sized pieces. Then toss all your berries into a bowl. Add your splash of lemon juice, drizzle of maple syrup and dash of cinnamon. Stir and then pour on top of the cashew filling.

I recommend putting this in the fridge for a few hours before serving, but even then, it is a VERY messy dessert. All my friends that came over just grabbed spoons and pretty much ate the whole thing right out of the dish! It was AWESOME. Haha...I wish I had been taking photos of the devouring process. 




 A lot of people said this was the best thing I've ever made! That says a lot. :-) In fact, after my friend Lindsey ate this, she completely honored and flattered the shit out of my by asking me if I would make her wedding cake! I pretty much burst into tears. What an honor! 

Anyway...

I gotta go! Here's a little closing inspiration for you.

"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." 
~ Benjamin Franklin

Thank you! Lots of love <3