Monday, August 29, 2011

Morning Realizations

Hey loves :-)

I had some thoughts this morning. 

1.) Fall is approaching! It is almost too cold to have smoothies for breakfast. This morning I had to eat mine curled up under a blanket on the couch! I sense a revival of hot oats in my near future :-) 

2.) It's ok to lay on the couch and read instead of going to yoga class. I had planned on going to yoga this morning but I awoke this morning just feeling funky. I was tired, super thirsty and my stomach felt "off." I drank a ton of water and some tea and had a smoothie and I still didn't feel quite right. I was going to just go to class regardless of how I was feeling, because that's one of the many things I love about yoga: just showing up on your mat and meeting yourself right where you're at, with no judgement, just honoring and accepting where you are THAT day and what your body needs. Because every day is different. But, today I decided it would be better for me to "meet myself" on the couch with my book ;-) I went to yoga class twice last week and practiced at home too. And I'm planning on going to a class tomorrow, so it felt ok to skip class today and have a mellow morning by myself. 

3.) This isn't exactly a realization from this morning. It's something I've been thinking about for a few days now. The importance of PLAY! This has been on my mind since Friday when a large group of my friends all met up at a park for food, drinks, volleyball, frisbee, cornhole and PLAY! All of my friends are usually so busy and we hardly ever ALL get together as a large group. It was AWESOME. 

"Play keeps us vital and alive. It gives us enthusiasm for life that is irreplaceable. Without it, life just doesn't taste good." -Lucia Cappochione

I know everybody tends to lead busy lives with a number of priorities and responsibilities. I just want to urge you to make PLAY a priority in your life as well. It keeps you young!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

The other day at the park, my friend Avery and I were playing frisbee together. She decided she wanted to make the game "spicier" by busting out a cartwheel after each time we tossed the frisbee. I was ALL about it except for one small detail.

I NEVER learned how to do a cartwheel! 
I know, I know...
How is that even possible?! 
Isn't it one of the first things you're supposed to do as a kid?!

So, anyway we stopped the frisbee game and began Cartwheel 101. Avery started giving me demonstrations, tips and pointers and I had a BLAST trying to do a cartwheel. I'm not there yet, but at least I was trying. We started doing handstands too and just jumping around like playful little faeries. I was getting so giddy and high off the sheer joy of being playful and silly. 

"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahil Gibran 

So, my friends, I urge you to carve time out of your life for play! Whether it's jumping around doing cartwheels or handstands.




Or climbing trees. 




Or getting silly with your friends.


Or dancing.


Whatever it takes for ecstatic joy to blossom like a flower in your heart, do it! And have fun!


Happy playing friends! 

"If that grass looks fun to roll in, then roll in that fun grass." -Source unknown

Have a beautiful day my friends <3

What is YOUR favorite way to play? :-)