Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Recipes!

Hi! Happy St. Patrick's Day! You know, I don't even know what this holiday is all about. I think someone told its history once, but now I don't remember! All I know is that I usually wear green and drink whiskey on St. Patrick's Day!

Inspired by Katie and Angela, I decided to make my own Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie in honor of St. Patty's Day.




It's so pretty, right?! Here's what's in there!
  • 1 banana
  • 4 ice cubes
  • Large handful of spinach
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
  • 1 tbsp chocolate chips 
It was really good! Light, healthy, refreshing, sweet and green! :-) 

The soup I made last night magically turned out quite green too! 

Creamy Carrot Chickpea Soup
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 meyer lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 veggie cube
  • 1 tbsp cumin powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
  • fresh ground pepper




First, I heated a tablespoon of olive oil in a pot and added the garlic and onion. I sauteed them for a while until the onions were soft, then I added the water, veggie cube and all the spices. Then I threw in the chickpeas, carrots and cilantro. I brought everything up to a boil, covered it and turned the heat down to low. I let the soup simmer until the carrots and chickpeas were soft. Then I transfered the soup to my blender bit by bit and blended it until it was smooth and creamy. I put the soup back in the pot and squeezed in the meyer lemon juice. I then added cilantro and fresh ground black pepper.

This soup was SO good! It made me really happy because it tasted exactly like I wanted it to! It was kind of like a cross between split-pea soup and hummus. Very delicious!

I also made more Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Biscuits :-)


But this time, I switched things up and used coconut oil instead of Earth Balance. I didn't notice too much of a difference in taste. Both versions are delicious, moist, fluffy and sweet :-)

Yesterday morning I took a wonderful yoga class, got my oil changed and then went grocery shopping.


I was thinking about going to yoga again this morning but I'm so sore!! I think yoga yesterday and my training session with Gorden on Tuesday really worked me. I think I'm going to do some mellow yoga at home, some foam rolling and some light exercise today.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and I'll see you later! Much love <3