Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Black Bean, Sweet Potato, Kale, Coconut, Cocoa Soup and gluten-free sweet potato biscuits

Somehow a glass of wine found it's way into my hands last night. Yeah...so...um...oops?

 What can I say? I don't like depriving myself! I didn't drink any alcohol for two weeks. And now I've drank twice since then. I still plan on "not drinking" for a while but if I happen to have beer or a glass of wine at some point, it's ok.




I had an awesome training session with Gorden yesterday. It totally kicked my butt! We did planks, push ups, chin ups, walking lunges with weights, single arm rows, leg lifts, single legged romanian dead lifts... and I can't think of what else! But it was a good work out!

Before I left, I ate a delicious little snack.


Two toasted pieces of Udi's gluten free bread with raw cheddar style goat cheese, sliced apple and basil. 
Yum!

Last night, Woody and I made dinner together which was super sweet :-) I love cooking with my lover!

We made Black Bean, Sweet Potato, Kale, Coconut, Cocoa Soup! 

  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 small sweet potato
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1/2 onion
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 veggie cube
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp fresh ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
Heat a pot over medium/high heat. Melt about a tablespoon of coconut oil in the pot and and then throw in your onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes and then add your coconut milk and water. Then throw in all the spices, the veggie cube and the cocoa powder. Add the beans and sweet potato and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for a few minutes. Once the sweet potatoes start getting soft, add in the kale and cilantro. Cook for a few more minutes until the kale is slightly soft and wilted. Taste and see if everything is to your liking and then you're ready to go! 







This soup was so awesome because it combined so many of my favorite things! Kale, sweet potato, coconut and cocoa! If I had been making it for myself, I probably would have added more cocoa powder and maybe even cinnamon, but that's not how Woody rolls. And when we're cooking together, we gotta compromise. I topped my soup with nutritional yeast and chopped baby tomatoes. 

And along with the soup, we had Sweet Potato Biscuits! These were so quick and easy to make, and so delicious! Adapted from The Fitnessista's recipe. 
  • 1 1/2 cups Pamela's Gluten-Free Baking Mix
  • 3/4 cup sweet potato puree
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil (or butter or earth balance) 
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk (or another milk of your choice)
  • stevia to taste or just a touch or maple syrup, agave or honey
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Measure out your baking mix and pour into a bowl. Add a little stevia if you like. Then add your three tablespoons of coconut oil. Then, I used my hands cuz it's fun but you don't have to! Massage the earth balance into the baking mix until it resembles course crumbs. Then pour in your coconut milk and sweet potato. Add some more sweetener if you feel it needs it. Mix together and then plop large spoonfuls of dough onto an oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes. 






Woody and I are headed out to a yoga class in about an hour. Then I need to get my oil changed and grab some groceries from the store. Then we'll probably go and drink some beers. 

JUST KIDDING! 

Have a lovely day! See you later. Much love<3 xoxo