Saturday, March 19, 2011

Catching Up

Heeeeeyyyy :-) Happy Saturday! Wow, after not posting for a whole day I feel like I have so much to catch up on!

There's been a lot of good food going on lately. But what else is new?! ;-) I LIVE for good food!

Two nights ago Woody and I made a Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata which was off the hook! I love kale and sweet potatoes together. They are such a good couple!

Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 small sweet potato, chopped  
  • 1 large bunch kale, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 10 basil leaves, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup black olives, chopped
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 cup raw cheddar style goat cheese, shredded
  • salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Steam the sweet potatoes until they are soft. Then steam the kale for just a minute until it is slightly wilted. In the mean time, chop all your veggies. Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk them really well. Then just mix everything together with the eggs, pour into an oiled skillet, cover and pop in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the eggs are cooked. 


Yum! This was so delicious, nutritious, satisfying and fulfilling! I'm glad that there were some leftovers because I ate it again for breakfast the next morning in between two toasted pieces of Udi's gluten-free bread. 


So, it turns out that I am officially done with my little booze cleanse. My intention was to go the whole month without drinking any alcohol. Well, I went two weeks. And now I'm drinking a moderate amount.  And you know what? I'm okay with it. I did what I wanted to do, even though I didn't end up doing it for the amount of time I originally planned. I wanted to take a step back from drinking and give my body the chance to detox. But when I felt like I wanted to have a drink again, I let myself because I don't like depriving myself. I feel that it's okay to drink in moderation. And if I reach a point where I want to do a cleanse again and not drink for a while, then I'll do it. It's all about balance and moderation, baby! But on St. Patrick's Day, it was all about Irish Car Bombs.


Woody was an excellent bartender :-) We were thinking about riding our bikes to a nearby pub and drinking a little whiskey there, but it was raining so we decided to stay in, drink Irish Car Bombs, play games and roll around on the floor with the doggies! (Sorry, I have no pictures to show for this!) 

On St. Patrick's Day I also made some Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream!!!


I just followed the recipe for my mint chocolate chip smoothie and then poured it into my ice cream maker! This time I used chocolate chips instead of cacao nibs though. It really tasted just like mint chocolate chip ice cream! So delicious. It went perfect with the vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free chocolate cupcakes I made yesterday! This recipe is adapted from Spoonful Of Sugar Free. Alex's cupcakes turned out so much more beautiful than mine! Haha, mine actually look super weird but they taste much better than they look. They are moist and yummy and just a little sweet. 

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp water)
  • 5 dates
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Allow to sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then put the dates, vanilla, flax eggs and the coconut milk/vinegar mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and then pour into a lightly greased muffin tin or muffin tin liners. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 


I know they look weird! But they are free from gluten, sugar and dairy and that's pretty awesome. Plus they taste pretty fricken' good! 

They are amazing topped with peanut butter frosting.
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
  • 2 dates
Blend ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. 


They are equally amazing topped with the mint chocolate chip ice cream I made! 



I can't say it enough. 

I. LOVE. FOOD. 

I still have more recipes to post from yesterday and this morning but I don't want this post to get too out of control! I think I'll just have to come back later and do another post. I'll leave you with a couple pictures for now. 


Ok, that's all for now. Thanks for reading! I love you so much, whether I know you or not! <3 

1 comment:

Namaste gurl said...

Everything just looks so amazing! If I had an ice cream maker, I'd be ALL over that green ice cream. Love that it uses coconut flour- how fun. If you read my blog regularly, you know how coconut obsessed I really am. :)

Post a Comment