Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Thoughts, a yummy recipe and Ava photos! :)

When I got pregnant, I told myself I wasn't going to use being pregnant as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted. But, as my pregnancy progressed I found myself overindulging in sweets and eating things I wouldn't normally eat. I managed to balance it out with plenty of nourishing, nutritious meals more in line with what I usually eat. Plus, I remained active and happy throughout my pregnancy and gained a healthy amount of weight. I would say I had a VERY healthy pregnancy. But, now that I am postpartum I find myself continuing to eat they way I did when I was pregnant! I'm ravenous most of the time since breast feeding burns so many calories. I'm definitely eating A LOT, but I'm not always making the most healthy, sensible choices with what I eat. Like when I was pregnant, I'm finding myself indulging in lots of sweets and just not being the most mindful of my food choices.

For example, I have been eating lots of cookies.



And the other day, I made this delicious blueberry crisp!



Gluten Free Coconut Oat Blueberry Crisp

2 cups fresh, organic blueberries
1 cup Pamela's Gluten Free Baking and Pancake Mix
1 cup oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your blueberries and set aside. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Cut your butter into small pieces and add it to the dry ingredients. Massage it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour your blueberries into a lightly greased baking pan and then pour the dry mixture on top. Lightly pat it down onto the blueberries making sure they are all covered. Bake for about 25 min until golden brown. 

This was a little TOO good. I could hardly stay away from it!


Sweet, buttery, coconutty, oaty goodness. With a touch of blueberries ;) Such a delicious and super simple recipe! 

On top of the treats I've been baking lately...I also indulged (big time!) in some froyo yesterday.


I just don't know how to contain myself!

Aside from all the treats, I HAVE been eating healthy meals. Like, my lunch today.


Eggs scrambled with some yellow squash, chicken sausage and goat cheese. Kale salad on the side.

I also have a super healthy green smoothie almost every morning. 


I just can't seem to stay away from the treats ;)

I don't know if I want to either! Is that okay???

I guess the potential problem is that, I am working out and attempting to get back into my pre-pregnancy shape...and I don't think eating sweets is going to help me! 

But, I've realized that working out and being in "perfect" shape is not as important to me as it once was. My priorities have shifted. I will always strive to be balanced and healthy and I will always enjoy being active and exercising...but, I am not in a major hurry to be a size 2 and get a 6-pack again. Sure, it would be nice, but I just don't feel like I need to. I have more important things to worry about. And some days I'm just too busy or tired to workout. Aaaaand I really like cookies too much to be in perfect shape right now! I am going to continue working out when I have the time and when I feel like it, and I'm sure eventually I will get more fit and toned again, but I am making sure to be totally loving and accepting of my body every step of the way! I am not going to post updated body pics right now because I'm sure not much has changed since last time

This post would not be complete without baby Ava photos ;) So, here we go...

 Ava in her Steal Your Face onesie that her Uncle Matty made :)

 Chillin' in the van at the coast while Woody surfs.

 Sleeping beauty <3

 Uh oh...someone's not happy.

She has her mama's eyelashes!

 And her mama's eyes ;)

 Yoga mudra ;)

 Peace out!

Sleepy smiles.

 One kiss...

 Two kisses...

 Too many kisses!!!

 Like papa like daughter :)

I love them <3

 Ava with her friend, Kai <3

 Ava and Kona! 

 My little love <3

 Getting some fresh air.

<3

 Close up.

 Ava with her friend, Lyra

 Family <3

 Ava and her Auntie Feather!

 :)

 Awesome group of people that I love! 

Ava loves going out to the coast :)

Ok, that was A LOT. I guess I really can't contain myself! Cookies and Ava...my two weaknesses ;) 

At the risk of sounding cheesy, I just have to say I truly feel like having children is what life is all about. I feel like my life became so much more rich and colorful and fulfilling after I had Ava. Every day is an adventure and every day my heart opens more and more and blossoms with so much love. I feel like being a mama makes me a better person too. I see the world through different eyes now. Every day I sing thanks and praises and feel so blessed to be living such a beautiful life. I feel so content, like everything is as it's meant to be. And I couldn't be happier <3 

Yay!