Wednesday, June 29, 2011

High Sierra and *Guest Post*

Hey loves! I just wanted to pop in real quick and let you know that Woody and I are about to leave to head up to Quincy, CA for High Sierra Music Festival! I won't be back until Monday so you won't see me around until then.

In the meantime, you can check out my guest post at Healthy Tasty Cheap.

And I have a guest post for you here as well! My sweet friend, Kat from Cupcake Kat is here to share some of her sweet goodness with you. I hope you enjoy! I will see you when I get back from the festival. I love you all! <3

Take it away, Kat!
Hi everyone! I’m Kat from Cupcake Kat and I am so happy to be doing a guest post for Alaina today. I love to bake but I especially like creating healthy treats.
 Here are my Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Latte Muffins. I know that Alaina tried these and loved them.
                                         
I also sometimes bake gluten free treats for my mom who has a gluten intolerance.
And I make lots of vegan treats too because lately I have been leaning towards a vegan lifestyle.
 I think Alaina is a gorgeous girl with a beautiful soul.  I know that she loves healthy sweet treats so today I am going to be sharing a yummy recipe for some pretty healthy waffles to nourish your morning. They are so yummy and I’m sure if you have these for breakfast you are in for an awesome day.
Dark Velvet Waffles
Makes 1 waffle
½ cup whole wheat flour*
2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch baking soda
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch salt
½ cup soy milk
2 tbsp yogurt, soy yogurt, or apple sauce
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla

Preheat your waffle maker.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Form a well in the center of your dry ingredients.
In another small bowl, whisk together soy milk, yogurt, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Pour your wet ingredients into the well and combine with a whisk until just blended.
Pour waffle batter into waffle maker and cook until done.

*my favourite flour mix for gluten free pancakes/waffles is sorghum and rice flour
I topped my waffles with peanuts, peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, raspberries, and nectarines!
Yup, I love toppings!
What is your favourite topping for waffles?
Mine is maple syrup, I love how the syrup sits in the waffle crevices!