Thursday, May 26, 2011

Three new {sweet} recipes!

Hey loves! I'm excited to share three new recipes with you today. If you checked out my blog yesterday you may remember seeing these:



I wasn't planning on posting the recipe for these because they are actually the product of my failed attempt at baking with brown rice flour a few days ago! Well, the failure happened when I baked the cookies. They turned into a crumbly mess and completely fell apart. But the dough tasted amazing! So, luckily I thought of rolling some of the raw dough into balls, freezing them and then covering them in chocolate and coconut oil. Delicious! 

Here is the recipe that I followed:
Adapted from ExtraVeganZa

Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Balls

1 3/4 cups brown rice flour (I'm sure you could use any flour for these)
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup oats
2/3 cup chocolate chips

For chocolate sauce:
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut oil

Combine flour, salt, baking power and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and vinegar. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Fold in the coconut, oats and chocolate chips. Place the dough in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. Roll the dough into balls and then place back in the fridge or freezer for another 30 minutes to an hour. Then in a double boiler on the stove, melt your chocolate chips and coconut oil. Dunk each ball into the melted chocolate. Once each ball is coated in chocolate, place them back in the freezer and keep them stored in an air tight container. 

The next recipe is actually my friend, Leanne's recipe which was inspired by my original recipe! Does that make sense? You see, a while ago, I made these muffins. 

Spiced Maple Coconut Oat Streusel Muffins

While these were quite tasty, the recipe didn't turn out perfect, so Leanne was inspired to experiment and create her own recipe. She called them Cinnibun Oat Streusel Muffins. Yesterday I tried out her recipe and they turned out delicious!




 These turned out super light and fluffy, almost spongy! In a good way. I usually don't bake with eggs so it was interesting to get a chance to compare these with my vegan version. Be sure to check out Leanne's recipe on her blog

The next recipe is for something I've never baked before.....SCONES! It was Woody's idea. Yesterday morning I asked him what he thought I should bake. He basically said I should give the muffins a rest and bake something new. Haha! So, he suggested scones. I made a compromise and made scones AND muffins. So there :-) 


Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones
Adapted from Gluten-Free Goddess

15 oz. Pamela's Gluten-Free Baking and Pancake Mix
8 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tsp lemon juice 
1 egg (you could easily make these vegan by using a flax or chia seed egg instead!)
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup chopped organic strawberries
2 tbsp mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour the Pamela's mix into a large bowl. Drop in the tablespoons of coconut oil and massage with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice and coconut milk. Stir and then add the egg. Whisk until combined. Add in the coconut extract and almond extract. The add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the chopped strawberries and chocolate chips. Lightly oil a baking sheet and place large spoonfuls of the dough onto it. Bake for about 15 minutes. Makes 7-8 scones. 





These turned out so good! The combination of coconut, chocolate and strawberry was so amazing! Woody loved them too. Whenever he really likes something I make, he says, "You can make these again!" 

Well, I guess that's all for today. Much love and blessings to you! Thank you for reading :-)

Something to reflect on:

"You are one of the miracles of creation. Address yourself with respect and wonder." 
-excerpt from DV Trimmer (from my WeMoon 2011 calender) :-) 

I have a question for you today too. It's something I've been thinking about. How do you bloggers out there balance your time of writing posts, reading other blogs, commenting on blogs and responding to comments on your blog? I've found that there are so many blogs I want to read every day and I want to comment on ALL of them. I also try to respond to every comment that someone leaves on my blog. I'm realizing that blogging is VERY time consuming and I've been on the computer A LOT lately. How much time do you spend blogging a day? Including writing posts, reading other's posts and commenting?   I'm curious to hear what you have to say. :-) 

I love you all!