Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Caribbean Coconut Rice and Carrot Cake Muffins

Hellllooo sweet glorious sunshine! It is a gorgeous day today. As it was yesterday and the day before. I hope you all had a great Monday and a wonderful Easter on Sunday if you celebrated. I wasn't consciously celebrating but a bunch of my friends ended up coming over that night and I got to cook dinner for everyone, which was awesome! I made Averie's Caribbean Coconut Rice with Garbanzos and Veggies. It was so delicious! Thanks for the inspiration Averie!


I made some changes to the original recipe. I didn't use Mrs. Dash. Instead I used a variety of spices like cumin and coriander. I also put in fresh ginger, lime zest and orange zest which added such a nice sweet, zesty, citrus flavor! I didn't use any salt. Instead I used coconut aminos which is one of my new favorite things! I also used a lot of different veggies such as carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, red and green bell peppers, onion, garlic and jalapeno. I put in fresh mango at the end which really brought the dish to a whole new level of awesomeness! I served it on top of greens with a dollop of peanut butter. It was such a hit with all my friends. Everyone was in heaven. One of my friends called it a "masterpiece" and described it as "sweet and salty, colorful and nutritious! Delicious!"

Here's another thing that was a total hit with everyone!




Inspired by Angela's Vegan Carrot Spice Muffins

Carrot Cake Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting


Dry Ingredients:

Wet Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
Frosting:
  • 1 container of Tofutti vegan cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients. In a separate medium bowl combine all your wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Lightly oil your muffin tin or use muffin tin liners. Fill them up about 3/4 of the way. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. To prepare your frosting, combine the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend away. Wait until muffins have cooled before you frost them. 

These muffins are out of control delicious. Everyone was speechless while eating them. There was just a lot of smiles and wide eyes. Finally there was a chorus of "Mmmmmmm" and "WOW" and "Oh my god!" I totally had a love affair with my muffin! I sat down and ate it very slowly, taking care to enjoy every second of the experience, every delicious bite. I was in heaven :-) Pure bliss, I'm telling you. 

Since the sun is shining so magnificently right now, I have to get outside! The brightness is calling my name. I haven't gone jogging in months but I suddenly have the urge to lace up my running shoes and hit the trail! I'll let you know how it goes. Much love and sunshine to you <3

Question:

I have been making a lot of muffins lately and have had a hard time choosing a favorite! What's your favorite type of muffin??? :-)