Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Feeding my soul!

I feel like I should confess something. A couple weeks ago, I talked about how I was going to give up alcohol and sugar for a month. Welllllll, that didn't actually happen. I guess I stuck with that intention for about two weeks but now I'm back to my old tricks again. The thing is, I believe in a holistic approach to health. To me that means in order to feel healthy, happy, balanced and whole, ALL of my mental, physical, spiritual and emotional needs have to be fulfilled. Eating sugar and drinking beer may not be the best thing for my body, but it makes me happy! And sometimes you gotta just FEED YOUR SOUL!

Sometimes I feed my soul with yoga.


And sometimes I feed my soul with chocolate ;-) 




How can I deprive my soul of the nourishment it needs?! If my soul asks for chocolate, how can I possibly  refuse? ;-)

My plan is to just be aware and stay conscious of how much sugar I'm putting in my body and to make sure I don't go overboard. I know that my tummy doesn't feel good when I over do it, so keeping that in mind will help me stay on track. And as far as drinking goes, I don't want to have a beer every day. I 'd like to only drink on the weekends or a special occasion. I don't feel the need to drink every day, but I like to when I want to! I seem to crave it more during periods of time when I'm consciously avoiding it. Therefor, if I allow myself to have it when I want it, it ends up not being very often and I don't ever feel deprived or that I'm limiting myself. I said it once and I'll say it again...it's all about balance and moderation :-)

Are you ready for some YUM?!

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Smoothie (In a bowl!)

Blend together, pour in a bowl and sprinkle oats, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips on top! This was my dessert last night. It was sweet and delicious but still had some healthy ingredients so that made it even better! 

Some more YUM!


Breakfast! Spicy curried scrambled eggs with chickpeas, kale, peas, cilantro, sweet potato and all kinds of delicious Indian spices made by this cute and funny boy:


Me: Awww, you're making a funny face!
Woody: Whatdya mean? I always look like that. 

Hehe :-) Oh woody. 

Grocery Shopping!


I think I got hit on at Whole Foods today. It started like this:

Dude: "You look like a cool sister."
Me: (laughing) "Ummm, thanks?!"

The guy actually ended up being kind of cool and we found out we had some mutual friends but it was still pretty funny.

Lunch!


Mmmmm....butternut squash tamale with cilantro and mango habanero salsa. Out of this world. 

More YUM!

No-Bake Crispy Peanut Butter Oat Nuggets
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free crispy brown rice cereal
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (I used White Chocolate Wonderful)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter chips
Mix the oats and cereal together in a bowl. Quickly melt the peanut butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Pour the melted peanut butter into the bowl and stir together. Add the rest of the ingredients and then form into perfect little bite-sized nuggets of delicious joy! 



These are so fricken good! Be careful. ;-)

I cleaned out and organized our kitchen cupboards and the refrigerator today! It needed to happen and it felt really good afterwards! Like I cleaned out an overly cluttered area of my mind! 

Before:

After:


Okay, so maybe not a huge difference there but it's good to me!

Before:


After:


Much better!

Before:


After:


Before:


After:


Okay, now you've seen the inside of my cupboards and the inside of my soul :-) I think that means we're friends. :-)

Have a good night!

xoxo

4 comments:

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

Now I have the hugest craving for eggs with peas...a combo I never would have otherwise thought to bust out! Thanks for the idea!

Alaina Rose said...

:-) I'm glad I could inspire the craving! I hope you try it!

Anonymous said...

That tamale sounds so good! I love organzing my cupboards and fridge when I feel like they are messy. I feel so much better when things are in order! : )

Namaste gurl said...

I'm loving all your creations and food, Alaina! Again, we would get along indeed WELL!

Post a Comment