Sunday, March 13, 2011

Coconut Chickpea Curry Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Woody and I took the dogs for a nice 2-mile walk in the rain earlier and it was so sweet and peaceful! It wasn't raining too hard, it was just drizzling a bit. But, once we walked in the door it started pouring! We got home just in time. We were feeling ready for lunch by that time, so we got busy in the kitchen. We made:

Coconut Chickpea Curry Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

  • 2 small baked sweet potatoes
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp cumin seed
  • 1 tbsp mustard seed
  • 2 tsp coriander 
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp tumeric
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Optional: cilantro and raisins for the top
We started by baking the sweet potatoes. While they were in the oven, we heated a large skillet over medium/high heat with a tbsp of olive oil. Once the oil was hot, we added the cumin seeds and the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds started to pop, we added the onion. We cooked the onions until they were soft and golden brown. Then we added the remaining spices, chickpeas and garlic. At this point, we turned the heat down to medium. Then we added the celery and coconut milk. We brought it up to a simmer and then turned the heat down to low until the liquid was absorbed. We removed the sweet potatoes from the oven when they were done. I cut mine open and layered the chickpea curry on top. Woody on the other hand, got a little fancy with his. (You'll see the picture in a minute!) I topped mine off with chopped cilantro and raisins. Perfect!







That's my plate.

This is Woody's. 


He scooped the sweet potato out of the skin, mashed it with the chickpea curry and then stuffed it back in the sweet potato skin :-) 

I think he was quite pleased with himself. 


"I'm doing it for your blog, baby!" is what he said. That's not cute or anything ;-) 

It's pouring outside and we're just lounging around the living room. It kinda feels like a good day to stay in the kitchen creating things! I want to bake, but it's quite limiting not being able to use sugar. I have been eating SO many dates lately. They are my new candy. It feels really good to not be eating sugar but I still miss it! Just maple syrup, really. That's my favorite sweetener. I never use refined sugar or anything crappy. But sugar is still sugar. I guess I have been cheating a little bit. The maple almond butter that I LOVE and eat every day has 2 grams of sugar per serving. But I'm not losing my head about it. I went into this sugar cleanse knowing it was going to be somewhat relaxed. The main thing I wanted to avoid was cakes, cookies and treats with A LOT of sugar in them. A couple grams of sugar in my almond butter is chill :-) I'm doing great! And feeling great! But hopefully I can eventually get to a place where I don't crave something sweet after every meal and don't feel attached to eating sweets. 

Ok, well I'm sure I'll be back soon with another recipe :-) Thank you for tuning in and being a part of my blog. I appreciate you for reading and supporting this mission of mine :-) Much love and light! 

A friend once said this to me. It's beautiful and I want to say it to you! To whoever is reading this right now! 

"Never forget to honor yourself as the divine being that you are. Explore yourself and all the boundless capabilities you possess."